CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 20, 2008

My Responses

I responded to Jenna's Native American post by saying:
"Thanks for the positive feedback. I agree with Jasmine in that your diary was very realistic. I really liked the Native American piece you chose because it is a great example of how Indians relate everything to animals and nature."

I responded to Jenna's Puritan post by saying:
"To be able to make it across the Atlantic and remain faithful to God shows just how devoted the Puritans were to their religion. “When the young healthy man mocked the sick, he became one of them and was the first to die. It is pure irony.” I completely agree. Their religion does mimic the devotion that some Christians still have today. “Just earlier today a young man who fell ill during the night lost his life and was tossed into the salty graveyard below.” This sentence creates a great imagery and it sounds like you actually witnessed it."

I responded to Jenna's Slave Narrative by saying:
"You're diary entries are amazing! You really capture the character's thoughts and emotions you are trying to portray. I agree the people jumping to their deaths is tragic, but would their destination be much better? Probably not, which makes the situation so upsetting.

"But I wonder how common it is for these immigrants to become suicidal; I know how much it really takes so much for it to come to that." You would think they would capture strong people, which makes me realize just how terrible the conditions were to be able to break them down to the point of suicide. I agree that Olidah is a very strong-willed person to be able to endure such torment. It is amazing that he was able to live to tell the tale."

I responded to Jenna's Patrick Henry entry by saying:
"I agree his loyalty to America allows him to further encourage the colonists. You're diary entry is very well written! I agree Henry was smart in appealing to his audience as far as acknowledging other opinions. I also agree that if Henry hadn't spoken his mind, the results would be partially his fault. What do you think his American Dream was? Do you think giving this speech was part of his dream?"

I responded to Jenna's Thomas Paine entry by saying:
"I like the selection you chose. The picture does go along well with this piece. I agree that people in today's society take freedom for granted. I feel Thomas Paine is persuading the colonists to fight because they had already worked so hard to travel to America, but when things weren't smooth sailing like they had thought it would be, they felt helpless. The ones who fought were the true Americans because they were working to establish the new land and actually trying to make it a better place."

I responded to Jenna's interviews by saying:
"I agree with Wanda Price's idea of the American Dream. I think the dream consists of doing what makes you happy. I also agree with her statement of the American Dream getting repetitive. The fact that she feels she hac accomplished her American Dream is inspirational because not many people are confidently able to say they have.

I like that you asked two people who grew up in the same home. It is interesting that, even with the same parents, they have such a different view of the American Dream. I noticed they both feel they have accomplished their dreams, which is also interesting. I think it would be interesting if you could interview your grandmother to see what her American Dream is, in order to see if she influenced either of her daughters.

In this interview, I like how his dream deferred and he was able to adjust to the change. This shows that dreams change along with age, and it is good that your father was able to adapt, unlike Willy Loman."

I responded again to Jenna's interview by saying:
"It is interesting that their dreams are different; however, I find it rare that a husband and wife alter their dreams so they can share the same dream, unlike the Shimerdas in 'My Antonia.' I agree that one will "shape their American Dream to utilize one's talents as well as fulfill desires," although, I don't agree with basing everything on everyone else because everybody has their own dreams and opinions. I like how you question their experiences in youth and I think that would be a good question to ask them. For example, 'were their any experiences in your childhood that helped shape, or change your American Dream?' "

I responded to Jenna's Interview repsonse by saying:
"Yes I did purposely ask people with different political views. :)

I agree that my mentor was the most open-minded. Like you said, this is probably because of her age. Thank you for the reflection idea. I will take it into consideration."

0 comments: