CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Revolutionary Period- Patrick Henry

Piece of Selection
Trust it not, sir; it will prove a snare to your feet. Suffer not yourselves to be betrayed with a kiss. Ask yourselves how this gracious reception of our petition comports with those warlike preparations which cover our waters and darken our land. Are fleets and armies necessary to a work of love and reconciliation? Have we shown ourselves so unwilling to be reconciled that force must be called in to win back our love?... I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

Reflection
In the selection “Give me Liberty or Give me Death,” Patrick Henry is attempting to persuade the president that his methods aren’t working. Henry is insisting that they “are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts.” This proves that Henry doesn’t agree with the way America is working. He feels that if America is going the way it is now, it will run into ruins, or as he said “beasts.” Henry is trying to be respectful yet firm with the president, so the president will actually follow his suggestions. For example he says, “Sir, we have done everything that could be done to avert the storm which is now coming on.” I agree with Henry’s ways of thinking because if America doesn’t fight back and do something for themselves. Henry uses strong emotions throughout his speech, which gives a sense that he is very passionate about the topic at hand. Patrick Henry says “Give me liberty or give me death” to show his audience just how much he cares about the matters. He sounds well educated with his grammar and uses correct terminology for his specific audience. He uses the word “I” a lot as well as specifically addressing the president to show that the situation affects everyone. When speaking, he goes straight to the point so as to hold his audience’s attention. It makes him sound like he is prepared and knows what he is talking about.

*Persuade, insist to join fight, connotation, fears/pros of war, metaphor

Dear Diary,
After hearing the “Give me Liberty or Give me Death” speech given by Patrick Henry, I have become more aware of where America stands in the world. There are people against the president, but I had no idea they had such extremist views! I agree with what Patrick Henry is saying, but I would never admit it in public. Henry expressed such deep emotion that I think he should run for president himself. He was so determined to achieve what he believed was best for the country and wanted liberty, nothing less. He conveyed his views eloquently and I feel the audience really took his words to heart.

Essential Question
Due to the intolerance of different beliefs, how does the American dream serve to unite difference by affording each person to become "American?"

At this point in time, everybody has a different view of what direction America should go toward. In the speech, Henry says the word “I” a lot which shows he genuinely cares about the matter. By showing that he has a genuine concern for the community, he is able to bring everyone together through his words and heartfelt emotion. Also in the speech, Patrick Henry says “Give me liberty or give me death” to show his audience just how much he cares about the matters of America. As a result of sounding genuinely concerned for the future of America, Henry is able to win over the hearts and minds of the community which can overall persuade them to act upon his ways. In summation, if everybody is able to agree upon the future actions of America, the people will be able to remain united and together achieve the American dream.

0 comments: