CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Interviews about the American Dream

Interview 1 (D. Shephard- Neighbor)

How have you lived the American Dream?
I have lived it by believing that everyone is created equal and has equal opportunities and work to treat people that way and work to be treated that way.

What do you do when you hit an obstacle?
I think on it and if I can't resolve it myself, I will try to go to those people that I think can offer some help.

What is your definition of the American Dream?
The freedom to pursue what makes you happy.

Who do you think would be the best candidate for president to help everyone prosper and achieve the American Dream?
I feel like Barack Obama is honestly trying to put us back in the right direction for the American Dream. Of course he has an ego and wants to win, but all of them do or they wouldn’t be running.

They say if you’re riding with a child put your [oxygen mask] on your face first and then you’re ready to help your child. Take care of yourself first; I think it’s the same thing with the United States. You have to be able to care of your people first. I just feel like it’s important to take care of yourself first and be stable before you go out and help other countries. Then you have the freedom to go out and help others.

Reflection
I agree with this interview because if our country is unable to support itself and its people, then we shouldn't be in Iraq attempting to help them. Why help another country if we can't help ourselves? I also agree the American Dream is the ability to be happy doing whatever you want to do. I don't agree that everyone has equal opportunities, but people should work to make this possible.


Interview 2 (J. Simmons- Dad)

What is your definition of the American Dream?
The American Dream is the pursuit of what you want to get out of life.

How are you working to achieve the American Dream?
Everyday I have personal goals of achieving happiness, financial success, and helping others with their goals.

How have you lived the American Dream?
Everyday I live, as long as I follow my goals afore said, I am living the American Dream. I go to work everyday, I have a roof over my head, dinner on the table, and I provide for my family.

What do you do when you hit an obstacle?
You go around it or go through it. Most of the time, I go through it. I try to think it through and take care of it quickly.

Who do you think would be the best candidate for president to help everyone prosper and achieve the American Dream?

I think Hillary Clinton would be the best choice because of the experience she has. Also the experienced people around her like the ex-president and all of his contacts would be a wealth of knowledge to help her make decisions.



Interview 3 (C. York- Mentor)

How are you working to achieve the American Dream?
Everything, everything I do. As opposed to making sure that everything that I do is something that I would want to do relative whether or not it is something I want to do for a class or soccer or anything else as long as it stays in line with the overall goal of what I want to do with the rest of my life.

What do you do when you hit an obstacle?
I take a few steps back and I look at the whole picture to try and determine the best course to resolve the obstacle.

What is your definition of the American Dream?
I would say being able to find success while still following my dreams. Not so much financial success as security within what I'm doing and feeling as though I've accomplished what I'm supposed to without sacrificing any of my integrity.

How have you lived the American Dream?
So far yes, obviously at age 22 I can't say whether or not I have accomplished the full American Dream, but I would say being able to go to school and play soccer and make movies and chase down all of my varied interests in terms of school, but I'm doing it. So in some degree yes.

Who do you think would be the best candidate for president to help everyone prosper and achieve the American Dream?
I don’t think the best candidate has risen yet.

2 comments:

JENNA MARiE PRiCE said...

Did you purposely have all three of your interviews contain different political ideas? I found it interesting that your neighbor is voting for Obama and your father wants Clinton. They dont live next to each other, do they?! I enjoyed your mentor's interview the most. She seems the most simplified and open-minded; but most adults are annoyingly opinionated and close-minded, so it makes complete sense.

Good job with this, all you need is a reflection of your own. To take up some reflection space, you could compare your current american dream (in your youth) to the dreams of those you interviewed. Just an idea!

Ms. Micallef said...

Very nice work Anna. I also enjoyed Jenna's dialogue - her comments are very insightful and alive at the same time - it would be good for you to respond to her.

Good job.

Micallef